pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] attributes

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] attributes
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:38:53 -0600

Chad Knepp wrote:

Ok, let's talk about objects:

Here are some of the things I think should be in a plant:
tinfo/pcplantdb

--snip--

I like all of the things listed in both db's but the thing that was glaringly missing was ""guilds"" which is why I thought this grant was written! Guild information will have to be solicited from all over the world, and will take time.

I think we should have as much information as possible on the plant guilds around a given species in its original habitat, ie apricots in Persia, and then the information on analog guilds in various regions as developed by individuals or evolved on their own.

A lot of this work has been done with such people as Vavilov, but it was incidental to the research they were doing and the results are sketchy. Which means a lot of research into the botanical literature.

Scott