pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[13][8.22.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[13][8.22.04]
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:38:23 -0700

howdy Scott and everybody,

See? By receiving individual emails I am responding faster and faster...!

I agree with Lawrence about leaving the money in PI's hands - at least for now
- if that is ok with you. And we would pay you for bookeeping, correct? What
do others think?

And yes, I would *Love* to discuss funding options with you, thanks for the
offer! Would you like to do this by phone? If so, when is a good time?

tchau
*s

Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org> wrote:

At 12:33 AM 8/23/2004, you wrote:

>--snip
>“Permaculture Information Web” more appropriate for our project.
So
>unless anyone objects (speak now or…), let’s go with
 œPermaculture
>Information Web” for hg, and plan that it will be part of the
“Open
>Permaculture Project” (which PFAF, Eden, and Lawrence’s website
will
>hopefully be part of too!) in the future…
>Si?

I still think the shorter the sweeter, but I'm easy. As twice before I
vote Permaculture Info, I suppose Permaculture Knowledge would work too.

>-ZOPE/IBIBLIO -
>Damn. Still not resolved. But we’re getting there.
>--snip--
>So, it appears that the most satisfactory compromise is that we go with
>ZOPE on arashi while I solicit further funding to donate a server for
>Ibiblio. That way, we would not be cutting into our wage $, using the
>platform of choice, and plan to end up on Ibiblio within a reasonable
>timeframe (how long would the timeframe be, Lawrence?).
>
>Do all of you agree with this? And if so, would we want to:
>a) take out a loan from PCU to buy the server now, and pay for it with
>funds we receive in the future?
>b) not take out a loan, and wait until we have received further grants/
>donations in or to buy the server?

--snip--
I will talk to the PCU today but I know that they will want any loan
collateralized and that can't be with the computer that we give IBIB.
I will talk with some of my donors from past and see if it is possible to
get them to donate funds. In the meantime Stephanie I should talk with you
about some organizations you could write for grant money. This shouldn't
take too long and in the mean time the data base should be developed. It
will be much easier to raise money for hardware once we can tell potential
donors that we have the database and are ready to rock and roll.

So let's got for it, the hard ware issue is not an issue, it will happen!!!

>-$$$ -
>Congratulations Scott, for successfully completing your first task!
>Since you did so well, I’m gonna have to give you more…heehee
>
>Everyone, where should Scott send the check? To my address? Will I be
>dealing with the distribution of funds, then?

Where ever I send the check should be an address that will be good for the
long haul, and money should be in the hands of whoever will do the book
keeping and accounting to the granting organization and to Permaculture
Institute.

>John S. asked about the $15/hour figure, and seemed (understandably!)
>displeased. When I was creating the budget for the grant proposal, I
>posted messages to the list asking about wages and what would be
>reasonable. I think no one responded except for Rich. I also remember
>not wanting to spend too much on wages, for fear that it wouldn’t look
>too good (I decided this after speaking with someone from the Threshold
>Foundation about budget etiquette). So, I apologize if you are
>dissatisfied with the wage. But. As I mentioned in a previous post, the
>Threshold Foundation doesn’t limit how much money can be spent on wages
­
>so we can definitely pay more than $15/hour, depending on how we want to
>allocate our funds (something which we’ll need to discuss further).

I don't understand what's to discuss we need to allocate the money to
developing the data base and if there is any left over --- then we can
discuss!

Scott