pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[13][8.22.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[13][8.22.04]
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:26:09 -0600

At 12:33 AM 8/23/2004, you wrote:

--snip
“Permaculture Information Web” more appropriate for our project. So
unless anyone objects (speak now or…), let’s go with  œPermaculture
Information Web” for hg, and plan that it will be part of the “Open
Permaculture Project” (which PFAF, Eden, and Lawrence’s website will
hopefully be part of too!) in the future…
Si?

I still think the shorter the sweeter, but I'm easy. As twice before I vote Permaculture Info, I suppose Permaculture Knowledge would work too.

-ZOPE/IBIBLIO -
Damn. Still not resolved. But we’re getting there.
--snip--
So, it appears that the most satisfactory compromise is that we go with
ZOPE on arashi while I solicit further funding to donate a server for
Ibiblio. That way, we would not be cutting into our wage $, using the
platform of choice, and plan to end up on Ibiblio within a reasonable
timeframe (how long would the timeframe be, Lawrence?).

Do all of you agree with this? And if so, would we want to:
a) take out a loan from PCU to buy the server now, and pay for it with
funds we receive in the future?
b) not take out a loan, and wait until we have received further grants/
donations in or to buy the server?

--snip--
I will talk to the PCU today but I know that they will want any loan collateralized and that can't be with the computer that we give IBIB.
I will talk with some of my donors from past and see if it is possible to get them to donate funds. In the meantime Stephanie I should talk with you about some organizations you could write for grant money. This shouldn't take too long and in the mean time the data base should be developed. It will be much easier to raise money for hardware once we can tell potential donors that we have the database and are ready to rock and roll.

So let's got for it, the hard ware issue is not an issue, it will happen!!!

-$$$ -
Congratulations Scott, for successfully completing your first task!
Since you did so well, I’m gonna have to give you more…heehee

Everyone, where should Scott send the check? To my address? Will I be
dealing with the distribution of funds, then?

Where ever I send the check should be an address that will be good for the long haul, and money should be in the hands of whoever will do the book keeping and accounting to the granting organization and to Permaculture Institute.

John S. asked about the $15/hour figure, and seemed (understandably!)
displeased. When I was creating the budget for the grant proposal, I
posted messages to the list asking about wages and what would be
reasonable. I think no one responded except for Rich. I also remember
not wanting to spend too much on wages, for fear that it wouldn’t look
too good (I decided this after speaking with someone from the Threshold
Foundation about budget etiquette). So, I apologize if you are
dissatisfied with the wage. But. As I mentioned in a previous post, the
Threshold Foundation doesn’t limit how much money can be spent on wages ­
so we can definitely pay more than $15/hour, depending on how we want to
allocate our funds (something which we’ll need to discuss further).

I don't understand what's to discuss we need to allocate the money to developing the data base and if there is any left over --- then we can discuss!

Scott