pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[14][8.23.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] synthesis[14][8.23.04]
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:30:39 +0000

Aloha,

So, our URL would be www.permaculture.info, our project name would be
Permaculture Information Web, and our umbrella collaborative would be called
Open Permaculture Project or Open Permaculture Information Project (I vote for
the former, the latter is too verbose).

Is this allright?

All right by me. Also prefer Open Permaculture Project over OPIP

Lawrence, Scott, and I all support the idea of buying a server for Ibiblio. John is against spending money on a server, unless it doesn’t come out of
wage money. So John – if the money does not come out of our wages, and we
still receive $15/hour or more, would you support this idea?

I don't support you spending your time raising money to buy a server to give to someone else.
And, if you choose to do so, you will do so.

So I am wondering, do we absolutely need to use Bugzilla? What
is it for?

It is our issue/bug tracking system. I chose it because it is one of the more used and more mature such systems available in the open source realm.
Whether or not we can use it from a user directory install on ibiblio is still being researched.

He also wrote, “One reason John H. went with johncompanies.com as his
infrastructure provider is that he gets a full virtual machine - he is
root/sysadmin and can do anything he wants with his system, so lots of issues
that arise in being a shared user of a shared machine (Laughing Squid,
ibiblio, etc.) and not having root privileges simply vanish.” But I assume
johncompanies is expensive?

For accounts hosting open source projects, $45 a month for the virtual machine setup John H. has (discounted from the standard rate of $75 a month because they're big supporters of open source).
That is the rate Chad used to make his estimate (which I corroborated) of $555/yr. for hosting and domain registration for HG - the estimate I used to point out the financial tradeoffs of hosting somewhere we can do whatever we want vs. buying someone else a server that they'll let us use part of on their terms.

Should not having root privileges be a concern of
ours?

That will depend on what we need to have control of to host this project in the best way possible.

We will not get a virtual machine to ourselves on existing ibiblio setups (using MySQL, PHP, etc.). We get a user login to a home directory where we can do certain things but not others. What we can and can't do I don't know, since afaik we don't even have an account there yet, and it would be John H. or Chad with their sysadmin experience who would best understand the particulars of our account privileges and restrictions.

Was getting an ibiblio account for the project on anyone's task list?

I doubt we will get a virtual machine to ourselves even if we buy them a server for zope, because of course it will be their server and they will let us use it but also lots of other people will use it.
How they will configure and administer it I don't know.
That is another piece of basic and essential host services information that we have not been provided with.
Y'all *really* want to give them a $6K server without any idea what services we'll get from it once it's theirs?!?

What I do know is that we are unlikely to have any more say in the matter than we would with an account on their existing systems. We buy them a server and then they tell us how we will be allowed to use it. Seems foolish use of money to me.

John S. wrote, “I would work on HG for $15/hr., though if I have other
paying work at other "real world" rates it will get priority most of the
time.” Hey brother, we are all in the same boat. I assume we all have
full-time jobs with “real world” rates,

Nope, I'm extremely low-income self-unemployed lately, now that I've moved back to Hawai'i Island. Anything can happen though...
Becoming what Toby Hemenway calls a "bottom feeder." Good used pallets are like gold. Speaking of which, gotta roust a centipede somewhere under the pallet my camp chair is on...don't want it in my slipper in the morning...or up my leg any minute now... :-O