pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][7][8.10.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][7][8.10.04]
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:51:44 -0700

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

Other orders of business:
-PROJECT NAME – ok so we have a domain name. yay. But what are we going to call ourselves? Permaculture.info? As in: what do we call the project itself – on grant applications, when discussing it, etc.? Am I just obsessed with names or something (speaking of, I still want

distinguishing names for John S. and John H.) I liked Lawrences idea of Permaculture Information Web.

Forget that one. See below.

(Also, not too into buying lots of domain names, but if you want to Lawrence – go for it.)

I just bought the .com and .info domains for
permacultureknowledgebase
permacultureweb
permacultureinfo
permaculture.net
.org and .net are still available.
Soon, all these and all other domains I own will bounce over to
market-farming.com.

-DOMAIN OWNERSHIP – After reading Scott Pittman’s letter, I think the Permaculture Institute ought to have ownership, until we choose to

I emphatically vote YES for that.

transfer it to ourselves if we gain non-profit status or to another non-
profit. What do others think? Do people think we should go for non-
profit status? (Please respond with a yes or no.) And if so, when?

I vote a big NO to our forming a non profit. I vote YES for allowing the
Permaculture Institute
to be our umbrella non-profit and for considerable time to come.
The person securing grant or donation funding for us should be financially
compensated for this
work as the PI is compensated for being our NP.
We do not need the extra work and distraction of having to start and manage a
NP. All our time will
need to be spent programming and data gathering, and promoting our
magnificent project.
This is going to be a world-class database and will probably be used more by the gardening and farming community than the permaculture community and is likely to become widely known, used, linked to and promoted - and written about in magazines and possibly journals.
At this point I would like to extend considerable gratitude and compliments to Rich Morris, Chad Knepp, John Howe and John Schinnerer for their immense contributions to this project so far and their fascinating tech posts to the list.

(Please respond with now or later.) And if we do decide to go for non-
profit, I will probably include this in my post to the PC lists (which I will write tomorrow night) and ask if anyone has experience with the process and would be willing to help us out.

No need to mention any NP HG issues to the PC list - personally, if we need
to discuss it at all, I would like to keep it here
and private. If there is ever a need for it Scott Pittman could probably
provide us with adequate information and advice on NP startup.

Also, Scott Pittman sits on the board of the Permaculture Credit Union (or used to, at least) – so he might be able to help us out on that end.

A big plus.

Would we still need to create a trust, or would the Permaculture Institute take care of that?

The Permaculture Institute can provide us with everything we will need.
There's no need to set up a trust
unless physical property, equipment, money and intellectual property is
involved. The PI can be the trustee of that trust.