pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Thoughts on Zope

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Thoughts on Zope
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:18:31 -0700

Richard Morris wrote:

<text deleted>

Some I feel important questions

1) can we easily extract scripts from zope so we can back them up to CVS.

2) Can we make it work with content outside the Zope sphere, for instance I'd quite like to index the permaculture mailing lists archive,
which are stored in their own manor without having to import the whole lot.

3) I have 1000 photos to upload. Can I automate the process?
I'm going to get very board (and give up) if I need to use a
file upload 1000 times.

4) What if the database gets corrupted? With a monolithic file we could be in danger of loosing everything.

5) Can my rich client (say a java applet) easilly extract data from zope. I might for example want to find the height of all the different willows, but rather than using stateless protocols (http) use a unix socket which will keep the connection alive.

I supose all of these are power user questions. Zope seems great for casual users, but can I do stuff outside the Zope mindset?

There may be stuff which at first seems to be easy using zope, but could have unforsean consequences. For instance in the Zope tutorial (leason 8 on images) it happly let me upload a non image file (warez.exe). This could be a gaping hole.

Another example is the image object, looks great at first sight, but not exactly what we need as we probably want to add more indexing items, such as a list of plant names show in the image, author information, a rating. (Yes we can use properties).

To summerise
Zope very nice system
Worries about power user access
Will it end up being limiting at end of the day
We could probably do what we need in zope
We could just as easilly do what we want in many other systems
It won't really save us much development time
Initially it will slow development as it will (understandably) be some time before ibiblio get it running.

Anyway appologies for the rant, hitting the learning curve.

Thanks for the analysis and heads-up. I am with you for using MySQL and
hosting on ibiblio
and doing it RSN.

For what it's worth, I vote a big NO for using Zope as a development platform
and a YES for
MySQL, Eden, etc. and locating our project on ibiblio exclusively. From the
programming and especially
end user perspective Zope is probably a poor choice. From Rich's explanation
I can see that
MySQL offers more robust possibilities for the future of our project.

In short:

I vote YES for:
hosting on ibiblio
using MySQL, Eden., etc.

I vote NO to:
using Zope
hosting anywhere other than on ibiblio

Also:
NO to our forming a non profit
YES to using Permaculture Institute as our non profit
YES to Permaculture Institute owning our permaculture.info domain
YES to permaculture.info being our official name