pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][7][8.10.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][7][8.10.04]
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:42:01 -0700

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

-MISCELLANEOUS -
-Thanks Lawrence for describing the difference/relationship between the Permaculture Information Web (I like the sound of it!) and the PC Knowledgebase. You wrote, “the PC Knowledgebase will exist in websites, one on ibiblio and one in commercial webspace, permasphere.com, one or more wikis and the pc-knowledgebase and permaculture mailing lists, and maybe a Blog. It will contain a general collection of information about permaculture, agriculture, alternative energy, allternative architecture and building, appropriate technology, and indigenous cultures knowledgebases and technologies. I would like all of the above to be incorporated in HG.” I feel like I’m still missing something though –
if all of the above are incorporated in the Permaculture Information Web and in PCKnowledgebase, then I still don’t understand how the two are different. Are they different, the same, or is one a component of the other?

I's real simple. Like Chad and HG and his Eden I plan to make HG my main pc
development project and sideline my PC knowledgebase.
I will actually develop a fancy wiki known as a permaculture knowledgebase and will use it a tool for collecting an organizing pc information - most of which will be contributed by me - having a collection in a wiki makes it easy for me to what I am doing
and how to organize the information. Rich has said that wikis could become external datasets accessable by HG as long as that information is presented in XML. I will probably try to learn XML so I can do this. Also having my info in a wiki will make it easy for me to select and edit data for submission to the HG database.

-Rich wrote, “A button will be displayed on the wiki allowing people to edit the page.” Where is that elusive button?? I can never find it. Thanks for the compliment, but I am most certainly not a wiki master…yet…

Lower left hand corner in the block of commands under ACTIONS; it says EDIT.

Decisions:
∑ Our domain name will be permaculture.info, but what will our project name be? Permaculture Information Web? Or otherwise? (ideally

permaculture.info

something similar to the domain name, so as not to confuse users)
∑ Domain ownership – do all agree that the Permaculture Institute own the
domain name

Yes
until we decide to transfer ownership to another entity?

Not necessary

∑ Do we want to go for non-profit status? If so, when?

No.

∑ If Ibiblio refuses to host ZOPE, what do we do?

Host on ibiblio and use software they offer.