pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] [synthesis][7][8.10.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][7][8.10.04]
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:21:44 -0700

Wow, I should never go a day without reading posts…

First of all, I wanted to thank Scott Pittman for his encouraging letter.
And I will make sure that we meet the requirements of the granting
organization, so that the Permaculture Institute’s ability to receive
grants in the future is not compromised! Also Scott, if you’d rather not
wade through all these posts, I will gladly send you periodic updates of
how the project is coming along.

And second of all…too incredible….can it really be true?…no, not
possible…but really?…I don’t believe it…but yes…yes, I think
so…nahh…yes,
I’m sure of it…we…we…we…we have a name! Permaculture.info.
Perfect. I
dig it. (Actually, David had offered me the name as well, and I had
completely forgotten – so thanks Chad.) yeehaw partners.

Other orders of business:
-PROJECT NAME – ok so we have a domain name. yay. But what are we going
to call ourselves? Permaculture.info? As in: what do we call the
project itself – on grant applications, when discussing it, etc.? Am I
just obsessed with names or something (speaking of, I still want
distinguishing names for John S. and John H.) I liked Lawrences idea of
Permaculture Information Web.

(Also, not too into buying lots of domain names, but if you want to
Lawrence – go for it.)

-DOMAIN OWNERSHIP – After reading Scott Pittman’s letter, I think the
Permaculture Institute ought to have ownership, until we choose to
transfer it to ourselves if we gain non-profit status or to another non-
profit. What do others think? Do people think we should go for non-
profit status? (Please respond with a yes or no.) And if so, when?
(Please respond with now or later.) And if we do decide to go for non-
profit, I will probably include this in my post to the PC lists (which I
will write tomorrow night) and ask if anyone has experience with the
process and would be willing to help us out.

Also, Scott Pittman sits on the board of the Permaculture Credit Union
(or used to, at least) – so he might be able to help us out on that end.
Would we still need to create a trust, or would the Permaculture
Institute take care of that?

-ZOPE/IBIBLIO – Thanks for writing to them, Chad! And maybe your offer
of support/donation of a server will convince them? If they are planning
to host ZOPE at some point anyway, why not start now, ne c’est pas?

But Chad, I understand your predicament about plunging ahead with ZOPE.
Group – we gotta come to a consensus for Chad’s sake (but first wait to
hear what Ibiblio says). If Ibiblio is not willing to host ZOPE – do we
go ZOPE or Ibiblio???

-LICENSE – Thanks for the update, Rich. So, if I understand what you
wrote correctly, there is no need to do anything right now (i.e. apply
for a license) – we simply need to include specific lines in the code?

-RESPONSIBILITIES – Looks like John H. and John S. (see? we definitely
need other names for these dudes) are splitting what were formerly John
S.’s tasks…I think. Can this be clarified? Can both of you send me a
mini-blurb about your role/contribution to the project – just to include
on biographies in grant proposals? gracias. And thanks John H. for
offering to volunteer!

-PROJECT PLAN – don’t worry if we are falling behind “schedule,” the
project plan is a tool. And if you aren’t meeting deadlines, just let me
know and I will adapt the project plan. The calendar is intended to be
dynamic, co-evolving…and guess what else it is? Mais oui, it is also a
web of relationships! Which is actually the most important reason you
need to update me – tasks are related and some depend on others. Like
this: the process of gaining non-profit status might be facilitated by a
Lovely volunteer on one of the PC lists, but this person won’t know about
the project until Stephanie sends a post about it, but she didn’t want to
send a post about it until we had a name… Aha, a web of relationships.
So again, no worries about meeting uber-specific deadlines – just let me
know what yer status is. Allrighty?

On that tip, thank you Chad, John S., and John H. for giving me updates.
And Rich, I can read what you’re up to, but it’s helpful if you can
relate it to what’s written in the project plan.

Once again, below I’ve cut and pasted updated tasks for this week. I’ve
also made a list of decisions that need to be made. Muy improtante that
you check the decisions and respond to them, so they can get decided.

-MISCELLANEOUS -
-Thanks Lawrence for describing the difference/relationship between the
Permaculture Information Web (I like the sound of it!) and the PC
Knowledgebase. You wrote, “the PC Knowledgebase will exist in websites,
one on ibiblio and one in commercial webspace, permasphere.com, one or
more wikis and the pc-knowledgebase and permaculture mailing lists, and
maybe a Blog. It will contain a general collection of information about
permaculture, agriculture, alternative energy, allternative architecture
and building, appropriate technology, and indigenous cultures
knowledgebases and technologies. I would like all of the above to be
incorporated in HG.” I feel like I’m still missing something though –

if all of the above are incorporated in the Permaculture Information Web
and in PCKnowledgebase, then I still don’t understand how the two are
different. Are they different, the same, or is one a component of the
other?

-Rich wrote, “A button will be displayed on the wiki allowing people to
edit the page.” Where is that elusive button?? I can never find it.
Thanks for the compliment, but I am most certainly not a wiki master…yet…

-Did either of the Johns resolve the Bugzilla issue? John H. wrote, “I
have intially set up Bugzilla for John S. to check out. I believe he is
still identifying customization he wants done for issue tracking.” What
do you say, John S.?

Phewww, I guess I’m also somewhat OTE at the moment. Then again,
compared to John H., I am on vacation. Mmmm…I like that cold beer and a
nap idea…

on that note
peace
*Stephanie

p.s. hey Chad, did you spell grammar wrong on purpose?
p.p.s. whoa there partner, you call yourself a 'stubborn asshole,
unwilling to compromise'?! I completely disagree with you (or perhaps I
unwilling to compromise)
p.p.p.s. speaking of…what’s up with David Blume?
p.p.p.p.s. is anyone reading this
p.p.p.p.p.s. this is a pyramid of ps

+++++++++

Decisions:
∑ Our domain name will be permaculture.info, but what will our project
name be? Permaculture Information Web? Or otherwise? (ideally
something similar to the domain name, so as not to confuse users)
∑ Domain ownership – do all agree that the Permaculture Institute own the

domain name until we decide to transfer ownership to another entity?
∑ Do we want to go for non-profit status? If so, when?
∑ If Ibiblio refuses to host ZOPE, what do we do?

Week 3: August 8-14
∑ Everyone – respond to decisions that need to be made, listed above
∑ Chad and Rich
o a working database (with no real data) with php connection and simple
front end (basically just checking that the different bits can work
together)
o issue tracker working, cvs working, zope working
o Get it running somewhere/somehow
o Rich – start doing whatever needs to be done in order to get the latest
version of PFAF that is under the CC-BY-NC-SA (2 weeks to complete)
∑ Stephanie
o write first draft of email describing project to PC lists, sends to
team for feedback
o write up description user interface/experience, send to list
o continue updating project calendar
∑ John H.
o Review changes in the configuration of Zope 2.7.2 for releasing it to
development access
o Get zope deployment platform setup for Chad (sometime in the next 3-4
weeks)
o Back-end Q/A assistance (throughout process)
∑ John S.
o prepares and posts FAQs and other documentation on use of issue tracker
and general software test/QA procedures and guidelines
o organize for user test of first “build” (to happen weekly from now on?)