pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][7][8.10.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][7][8.10.04]
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:25:53 +0000

Aloha,

-PROJECT NAME – ok so we have a domain name. yay. But what are we going to call ourselves? Permaculture.info? As in: what do we call the project itself – on grant applications, when discussing it, etc.?

How about just permaculture.info?
After the dot-com boom, the whole idea of a biz or organization using a domain name as their name is pretty normal...

speaking of, I still want distinguishing names for John S. and John H.

Well, see, you *can* distinguish between those, because there's an 'S.' after mine and an 'H.' after his. Nyah nyah... ;-)

If it will help with speed typing, JohnS is fine by me...Howe, about you?

What do others think? Do people think we should go for non-
profit status? (Please respond with a yes or no.)

Yes or no, either way - I don't care. Not something I would work on.
Only concern I've heard from some is that NPO needs board, and board can sometimes be squirrely and do things founders would not want/not approve of/etc. Then again sometimes founders do that too. Change is the only constant, etc.

And if so, when?

No rush IMO if we have PI to umbrella grants, etc.

But Chad, I understand your predicament about plunging ahead with ZOPE. Group – we gotta come to a consensus for Chad’s sake (but first wait to hear what Ibiblio says). If Ibiblio is not willing to host ZOPE – do we go ZOPE or Ibiblio???

Too limited a question IMO. As I said before, my preference is we decide what platform we want to use to make the best HG we can, and then find a host. Hopefully ibiblio, but IMO that's not essential.

IMO Chad and Rich need to sort out the development platform(s), since they are the two core developers at this point.
Perhaps they can use ZODB and ZCatalog and other stand-alone zope core components with python, etc. on ibiblio without ibiblio needing to run zope per se?
If Rich is going to write an initial client in PHP anyhow then I'm not sure what the difference would be.

My only significant input remains my opinion that object-oriented implementation is a significantly better and ultimately more flexible match for what we're trying to model than a relational DB implementation.

Meanwhile there are a million hosts out there, including other academic and academic/npo combos like ibiblio. Alas I don't know of any offhand that I have connections with right here right now.

Well actually I have read that U Hawai'i has been using zope for some of their stuff but I won't have time to follow up on that until I return on the 19th August, by which time I expect this will all be decided. :-)

Regardless, I won't be taking my ball and going home just because we don't host on ibiblio. You wanna try and implement this in PHP and MySQL, go ahead, good luck, and I'll still break...er, test it.

-RESPONSIBILITIES – Looks like John H. and John S.
are splitting what were formerly John
S.’s tasks…I think. Can this be clarified? Can both of you send me a mini-blurb about your role/contribution to the project – just to include on biographies in grant proposals? gracias. And thanks John H. for offering to volunteer!

I'm still chief test curmudgeon - administer issue tracker and provide testing info/guidance/coordination to other wannabe testers and do testing - John H. is simply setting up an interim bugzilla issue tracker on his server while we sort out the long-range hosting issue.

-PROJECT PLAN – ... Aha, a web of relationships. So again, no worries about meeting uber-specific deadlines – just let me know what yer status is. Allrighty?

Reminder - out of cyberspace completely August 12 through 18, returning on 19. Please keep the traffic low... :-O :-)

-Did either of the Johns resolve the Bugzilla issue? John H. wrote, “I have intially set up Bugzilla for John S. to check out. I believe he is still identifying customization he wants done for issue tracking.” What do you say, John S.?

The regular bugzilla admin login doesn't allow some sorts of customizations I assumed it did from info on the bugzilla.org site. I will see if John H. can do those on the back side as system admin without too much trouble. If so, great; if not, it's still OK to use.

> Decisions:
∑ Our domain name will be permaculture.info, but what will our project name be? Permaculture Information Web?

That or just the domain name are fine with me, either one, see comment above.

∑ Domain ownership – do all agree that the Permaculture Institute own the
domain name until we decide to transfer ownership to another entity?

OK by me.

∑ Do we want to go for non-profit status? If so, when?

I don't care, and if we do, I don't see any rush, partly 'cause I don't see anyone available to do that job.

∑ If Ibiblio refuses to host ZOPE,
what do we do?

If Chad and Rich want zope, we find another host, or $$ for ibiblio's desired server, while developing on John H.'s system for the interim.

If they don't want zope, ibiblio probably has what they will want, including python, java, apache, PHP, MySQL, cgi, etc. etc. (I'll throw in "how about PostgreSQL, there are some possible advantages over MySQL if you choose to go RDB...")

Maybe they could even use ZODB and other stand-alone zope components with python on ibiblio without their needing to run zope per se? Whoops, I'm repeating myself...

∑ John S.
o prepares and posts FAQs and other documentation on use of issue tracker and general software test/QA procedures and guidelines

There is some starter info included in bugzilla help info.
Our initial Bugzilla instance can be found here:

https://www.arashi.com/bugzilla/

If you want to create a login for yourself and look it over, go ahead.
There are no issues entered yet so it's kina dull.

The included bug writing tips are here:

https://www.arashi.com/bugzilla/bugwritinghelp.html

...I don't think you need to log in to see that page...

I will dig up other stuff I have when I return.

o organize for user test of first “build” (to happen weekly from now on?)

This is pending a few things like choosing dev platform and starting development, so when that is sorted out we'll have a better idea when that first build will happen.

cheers,