pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][7][8.10.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][7][8.10.04]
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:55:50 +0100

John Schinnerer wrote:

Aloha,

-PROJECT NAME – ok so we have a domain name. yay. But what are we going to call ourselves? Permaculture.info? As in: what do we call the project itself – on grant applications, when discussing it, etc.?

How about just permaculture.info?
After the dot-com boom, the whole idea of a biz or organization using a domain name as their name is pretty normal...

Sounds good to me. Might also want to have a sub heading

permaculure.info
The open libary of plant and permaculture information.

What do others think? Do people think we should go for non-
profit status? (Please respond with a yes or no.)

I'd say no. A lot of work to get it going. Maybe next year!
I'm happy with permaculture institute (hi Scott), happy with
them getting a cut (if it was done through pfaf we would want a similar deal).

But Chad, I understand your predicament about plunging ahead with ZOPE. Group – we gotta come to a consensus for Chad’s sake (but first wait to hear what Ibiblio says). If Ibiblio is not willing to host ZOPE – do we go ZOPE or Ibiblio???

Too limited a question IMO. As I said before, my preference is we decide what platform we want to use to make the best HG we can, and then find a host. Hopefully ibiblio, but IMO that's not essential.

I'm only happy if its on ibiblio.

IMO Chad and Rich need to sort out the development platform(s), since they are the two core developers at this point.

Perhaps they can use ZODB and ZCatalog and other stand-alone zope core components with python, etc. on ibiblio without ibiblio needing to run zope per se?

Currently i'd prefer this route.

Regardless, I won't be taking my ball and going home just because we don't host on ibiblio. You wanna try and implement this in PHP and MySQL, go ahead, good luck, and I'll still break...er, test it.

Cool.

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org