pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: permaculture.info

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: permaculture.info
  • Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:48:30 -0700

John Schinnerer wrote:

I definitely *do not* support our project squatting on or redirecting any additional domains besides the *one* we choose in this choosing process we're in.

Not even the great permacultureweb.*? If I buy it and donate it to
Humongous Groundhugger? I think I may buy it anyway, .com, .net, .org & .info
and will donate .org & .info to HG if and when it wants them - they can be
parked
and used in an indirect way. We are, after all, talking about a Permaculture
Web of Information.
permacultureweb.info, perfect. The project could be named Permaculture
Information Web.

Also, permacultureinfo.* All domains available:

Available:
permacultureinfo.com permacultureinfo.net
permacultureinfo.org permacultureinfo.info

I might get those too and will donate the .org and .info to HG.

Just a thought.

By "our project" I mean whatever person or legal entity we end up choosing to hold domain registration, funds, etc.

Things are pointing toward the Permaculture Institute being that entity.

One is enough for us. Leave others for other projects, other people. Cybersquatters are IMO right down there with spammers.
'Nuff said.

Worth thinking about, however PC people are so slow to moive on such things.
The domains I may get can always be donated to a worthwhile cause at any time.
Good to keep them out of the hands of true cybersquatters.

As to who holds it - some sort of trust with a mandate we design, more or less as John H. said. Some sort of parallel to a land trust arrangement, with a written mandate to use it well, etc. etc. and trustees to hopefully stick to the mandate.

I know some people who've been through the nonprofit creation process and it ain't quick 'n easy, that's for sure. I don't oppose it as a longer-term strategy, as long as it's kept as simple and clean as possible. I don't think it's viable for the immediate future as it takes time and a fair bit of work afaik.

Probably too early to get involved with NP formation.