pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Richard Re: dataset and client/server API

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Richard Re: dataset and client/server API
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:27:06 -0500

This is mostly to Richard, because we need to start talking about the
client/server API and other things.

First off, I would like to get the latest version of PFAF that is
under the CC-BY-NC-SA with or without the images, either as a MySQL
dump or as a CSV fileset with a SQL import script. This isn't super
time critical, but it would be nice to have this by the end of next
week or so. Can you put this somewhere on comp.leeds.ac.uk or ibiblio
for download?

Secondly, I'm thinking that if the client is written in PHP on top of
Zope it will really make more sense to just describe a
method(value[s]) API than to generate and tanslate XML between the
two. We can easily generate XML for other sorts of
clients/applications but for this particular instance I think a
tighter coupling is the better choice. In terms of proceeding it
would work for me if you just write your fantasy API and I will
implement the methods you need on the backend.

Also, although you are probably in bed right now it would be good to
hear from you about permaculture.info.