pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: permaculture.info

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: permaculture.info
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:12:26 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> <snip>
>
> permaculture.info is a rare and important find and if we can have
> this domain we should get it asap. Its not like that has to be the
> only domain for HG and though it doesn't reflect the relationships
> concept we can obtain a separate one(s) that does (permacultureweb,
> permaculturenet for example, both also rare and important finds,
> and park them at permaculture.info or vice versa, depending on the
> name we pick for the website/database that we want to be known by -
> something that reflects database resources and the relationship
> concept. I think we should buy permacultureweb and permaculturenet
> asap also and I wil consider paying for them i necessary - HOWEVER
> we may want the .com, .net., .org and .info variants on those two
> domains - I don\'t think we would ever regret getting them - we may
> be able to make use of a commercial domain to host somewhere other
> than ibiblio for fund raising, subscription or membership
> registration and payments as well as direct donations (through
> Paypal for example).
>
> In short I would urge our fellow compadres to vote a yes for all
> the above domains or at least permaculture info. and
> permacultureweb.org .net .com .info.
>
> > think he is going to retract the offer anytime soon, so as long as we
> > can move on it within the next month everything will be fine.
>
> Better to get on that RSN.

Hmmm... Real Soon Now, you must go way back ;-)

> > First of all how about people revote with this option as well. Sounds
> > like Lawrence and myself would prefer permaculture.info.
> > Waddyallthank? I don't know Spanish but I can do colloquial ;-)
>
> > Also, the question of ownership of the domain name is an important one
> > and I'm not sure it should be held by an individual. The other side
>
> 1) Establish a trust at the Permaculture Union and let the trust
> own all our domains.

Is this David Blume? Doesn't he also own permaculture.com? Unless
PCCU is a non-profit with one of us on the board there is a
possibility that a conflict of interest would disadvantage us.

> 2) See if the Permaculture Institute would do it and guarantee that
> our interests will always prevail

Scott Pitman owns permaculture.org.

> 3) Maybe a combination of 1) and 2)

I'm somewhat of a natural paranoid so not having any personal
relationship with the above individuals makes it hard for me to
expect philanthropy. I'm probably wrong, but I can't know that now.

> 4) You own it and if you/we find a better, more convenient home for
> it then transfer it later; like if we form a nonprofit.

My concern with an individual from the project owning the name is that
if there is a decisive split because of difference of opinion, the
owner of the domain will pretty much retain authoritative sway in the
public opinion. Some kind of incorporation (such as nonprofit) would
be the ideal way to own the name... but that means we are all in the
same boat till it sinks ;-) To follow this route, I think I would
trust Stephanie to own the name and then transfer it to said formed
entity in the future.

> > of that is that what organization could/would hold it for us yet still
> > defer to our interests and not impose their own. Maybe ibiblio?
>
> I doubt ibiblio would go for that & I am sure that mut have had
> plenty of opportunities.

I guess ibiblio is actually the UNC anyway.