pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [re][synthesis]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [re][synthesis]
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 10:26:31 +0100

John Schinnerer wrote:

Chad:
I've brought up the issue about what license(s) we are going
to use twice and I didn't get much of a response except from Richard.

I replied on this already also - GPL or functional equivalent is fine with
me for code, and I defer ("neutral" I take that to mean) to those with
more knowledge of data licenses to make that decision - as long as it's
"free" in the same way the GPL makes the code "free."

I've been looking at quite what the GPL "free" means.

I'm halfway through trying the register with sourceforge
and one their admin replied
> 2. What is the license text being used for the content (do
> note that if the license restricts commercial use, it will
> not meet our hosting standards)?

so basically GPL "free" means its OK for someone to take the
dataset put it on their advertising website and make money off it
(with none going back to the project). This has happened already
see GardenBed.com.

Is this cool or not cool?

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719