pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [re][synthesis]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [re][synthesis]
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:11:03 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

> I think that any sort of search result is a relationship oriented set
> of data with the parameters of the search defining the relationship.
> Representing this visually is not that helpful to me personally.
> Regardless of my personal likes/dislikes, I am prefectly happy
> implementing the needs of others in this project. The more tools the
> better...

I'm thinking that the GBI is more of a browsing/learning tool than a tool
for returning highly specific search results. It could do that as well if
the user wanted, of course.

Some people go into a library and browse the stacks in their general area
of interest to find what they want; some go straight to the catalog and
look up some specific books. Ditto the more tools the better...

> I think you are doing just fine. I do have some criticisms of our
> group process thought, esp. in regards to making consensus decisions.
> For me, the two issues are: Who all is part of the decision making
> group?

Good question. I assume I am... :-)

> The other
> thing is that in consensus process, when someone makes a proposal it's
> an invitiation to respond. This doesn't translate well to internet
> culture because when you are neutral or agree the norm is to not
> respond.

Right, we need explicit responses for "neutral" and "agree."
That was an example.
;-)

> I've brought up the issue about what license(s) we are going
> to use twice and I didn't get much of a response except from Richard.

I replied on this already also - GPL or functional equivalent is fine with
me for code, and I defer ("neutral" I take that to mean) to those with
more knowledge of data licenses to make that decision - as long as it's
"free" in the same way the GPL makes the code "free."