pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: milestones

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: milestones
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:04:24 -0500

Really kicking out the email today aren't we John!

John Schinnerer writes:
> <snip>
> > 1c) Sample plant info added to database, simple query (maybe just query
> > by Latin name) and simple plant report.
>
> Yep, and I would want to query by just about anything other than Latin
> name.
> One of my frustrations with any existing database is that they mostly lean
> so heavily on latin names, about which I know jack and about which I don't
> really care or need to learn jack. I want to search on inputs, outputs,
> functions, characterstics, climate and soil preferences, sun/shade
> preferences, anything but friggin' latin name!
> End of rant... :-)

This is why Eden is better than PFAF. In one text box you can search
for "shady fruiting vine", "hobloellia coriaceia" (notice the two
misspellings), or "sausage vine" and you will get Holboellia coriacea
as the top result for each. Toot tooooot! Now that I understand more
about search engines should be pretty easy to put this in HG.

I'm too tired to respond to the other stuff. I just finished a 12
hour day of building a 96 square foot solar dehydrator. Ok, tomatoes,
bring it on!