pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] GBI and other UIs

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] GBI and other UIs
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:04:13 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

> I'm still very unsure about how we would really us such a tool.
> Yes we can do a family tree for plants, but not so usful for locating
> plants, as users need a very extensive plant knowledge to know
> which Division/Order/Family the plant is in.

Unless I'm searching for attributes, characteristics, functions,
needs...isn't that a big piece of what we're intending to offer?

> I can see that some sort of graphical interface could be good, but I
> don't think graph based interfaces are really poweful enough. There is
> only a limited amount of info which can be displayed in each node (point
> on the graph).

Good point - had noticed that but hadn't been able to articulate it.
OTOH for relational views where the details of a particular node are not
(or not yet) important a GBI may be very useful.
As long as user can "zoom in" as far as they need to, a GBI can provide
some of both.