pcdb - [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:48:39 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:34:59 -0500
From: Lawrence F. London, Jr. <lfl@intrex.net>

Graham wrote:

It would be good if we could get the discussion going on the talk pages
of the wiki itself - I'm not sure who originally set up the wikia
permawiki,

The problem with that wiki is that the install of the wiki software was done
by Wikia,
not us, and there's no way to change the functionality of it. Furthermore,
they own the site
and our data and can it keep online or not as they choose. There's no
security there for the long haul.

We need to decide that we are a group and install our own software on a
server (we already have one
for that purpose), maintain and own it ourselves. It could go indefinitely in
a situation like that.

In other words, we need to start a new wiki, an RDb and a blog ourselves.
Those who favor a database can work on that,
others can work on the other components and programming enhancements for them.

LL