pcdb - [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:30:39 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:16:51 -0800 (PST)
From: negiliblek <negiliblek@yahoo.com>

Paul Cereghino wrote:

... -- but don't know much about RDB... what about something more >conceptual like:
tbl_element: (element_id, >element_name, element_family (lookup),
tbl_elementattribute_link (element_id, >attribute_id)
tbl_attribute (attribute_id)
tbl_attribute linkage >attribute1_id, .attribute2_id, l

I'd came to the same conclusion: conceptual tables that include what you're calling an element table, an input output table, and a project table.

...if one chooses to see more detailed technical information on a project, the project table will point to a set of "specialty tables" like the ones I first posted.

processes (element does some function/work/process)
outputs (element produces output)
contraints (element doesn't function in presence of condition)

-thanks to your input, I'm going to add contraints and processes to the three concept tables (now was your input endothermic or exothermic? :] ).

And you've just given me a problem to solve:

what if elements have different attributes based on climate?! You could have biome independant attributes and biome dependant attributes or you could just qualify linkages

Y'know... even just developing the element input/output analysis collectively would have tremendous value... and that could be done by simply aggressively structuring an existing Wiki.

which three (or more) existing Wiki's have the soundest, technical information? {oh am I ever asking for a holy war now} But really, I want everyone's opinion on which Wiki site(s) they'd use if they were about to start a major project on their own property?

Keep the ideas coming even if you're not sure what the heck a RDB is; give me another week before I post the conceptual tables though.

negiliblek