pcdb - [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:39:23 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:09:23 +1100
From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>

On Friday 15 December 2006 5:26 pm, negiliblek wrote:
] I'll just start off with a simple mysql, apache, php site.

I'm a big fan of not reinventing wheels. I'm also painfully aware
that few wheels out there readily adapt to {insert analogy here}.

They're my three preferred bits of technology, although even
something this obvious a choice (for the cognoscenti) should
possibly be referred back to whoever's going to own it? Who
is going to own it, btw? That should be a slightly easier question
than 'what's the scope?'. The latter being a question that really
needs some very precise answer(s) before anyone cranks up vi IMHO.

] Wanna 'splain about CMS? .... and a few good sites for me to look at?

Everyone's very excited about wikis. They should probably be more
excited about a CMS with a nice modular plug-in system, along with
a nice wiki plug-in to get started, but a custom written plug-in for
the long haul.

For some generic information with pointers to more detailed stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management_system

joomla (nee mambo) and drupal are two obvious places to start
your exploration. ( http://www.joomla.org , http://drupal.org )

Check the wiki extensions (aka plugins) available for Joomla.

] data around these structures. But I haven't had to make any of
] them look pretty; so I'm asking for help in finding a cookie

IT systems aesthetics aren't my gig, I'm afraid. My stuff tends to
be functional rather than beautiful. Happily CMS's tend to provide
facilities for macdinkers to contribute in this regard. I'm sure
there'll be a surfeit of people with strong opinions on what colour
the bike shed should be.

Jedd.