pcdb - [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc]
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:55:31 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:57:13 -0500
From: Lawrence F. London, Jr. <lfl@intrex.net>
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

neshura wrote:

As an additional comment though, there are not a lot of companies that
will give you shared server space to *develop* a db-driven
application. Since you won't be able to tell a hosting company that
your app is production-ready, chances are high that you will need to
run your own server in a colo, and that is substantially more
expensive. Definitely try to find someone who will donate space that
doesn't violate the TOS if you are messing around restarting apache or
postgres or upgrading from CPAN or whatever.

We already have a web account on ibiblio where we can get the project started:
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture
I have a page there but will remove it to make way for pcdb.

We can use this until we decide on a name and/or have a .org domain, which we
can also have hosted
at ibiblio.

So, we are ready to go. All that needs to be done is for participants to get
ibiblio login accounts.
Send email to help@ibiblio.org for that. We should send the admins at ibiblio
a master list of those approved by us to
have these accounts. Here are four important documents about ibiblio's
policies, regulations, server info and the like:

http://www.ibiblio.org/collection.html Collection Policy (how to contribute
and collection criteria)
http://www.ibiblio.org/faq/ ibiblio FAQs for contributors and for visitors
http://www.ibiblio.org/systems/ Systems Central (hardware and software)
http://www.ibiblio.org/about.html About ibiblio
http://www.ibiblio.org/about.html#contributing Contributing to ibiblio
Contributing to ibiblio.org
-
If you are interested in becoming an ibiblio.org contributor:
1. Read the Collection Criteria to see if your interest will be served by
working with us
2. Check out the services we offer contributors to see if we have what
you need.
3. Hint: very few, if any, proprietary services will be provided, but
many open source solutions are, can or will be

offered on request.
4. Drop a note to help@ibiblio.org telling us:
* What your project will be
* What services you might wish to use
* How to contact you by phone (so we can work out any details and
passwords)
* Anything else you think might be helpful
last revised: August 17, 2006
-

The pcdb development list has been created: pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org. I need to
configure it and add subscribers.
Could those who want to be in this forum let me know, if you haven't already,
here or in private email.
We can move tech talk there for the benefit of those in this list who don't
want to read about our development efforts.
It would, however, be important to post feedback about the project here on a
regular basis since it is ultimately for
everyone's use as well as others in the global permaculture community. One
purpose of the pcdb would be to connect
users or all pc-related websites, blogs, wikis, webforums and mailing lists
to a central resource. This is high on my
wishlist for this project.

LL