nafex - [nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials

  • From: "Paul St. John" <stjohn36g@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 16:21:10 -0800 (PST)

to harvest large amounts of mulberry at once , we put old sheets /new tarps
under the trees in the morning and come back in a couple of hours if the wind
is blowing. the mulberries will have fallen to the ground and we hand picked
up from the sheets.  keep clear of bird poop and don't gather the sheets with
berries in them , you will get a great tye-dye design. if there is no wind
or in a hurry, shake the branches you can reach ripe berries as they fall
easily .

"But how to grow the trees so they are easy to pick?  I have a couple
Russian Mulberries that I pollarded at about 4 feet and that seems
like it might have potential.

I've planted out about 20 Illinois Everbearing with the hopes of
making wine, but I'm hesitant to plant more until I know if there is
an easy way to harvest them and also if the birds will even allow me
to harvest anything at all."

~mIEKAL

Paul St. John  Zone 5b  N IL