nafex - [nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 11:33:06 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/13/2013 12:05:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dwoodard@becon.org writes:

> I have read that in old times in Afghanistan, dried mulberries were a
> staple food. The Bulk Barn chain here sells them sometimes. I haven't
> been overly impressed with the flavour. I suspect they may be different
> cultivars or strains from those grown for fresh eating.

Interesting, thank you.

I wonder if the dried fruit is from selected varieties or random seedling
trees. There is a great difference or variation in the black mulberry species
in the Midwest. As I wrote before some are very good. Others best left to
the birds, who will them spread less desirable genetics.

NAFEX member AJ Bullard is a mulberry breeder and hybridizer.

Jerry