nafex - Re: [nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials

  • From: Bass Samaan <bassgarden@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Mulberry commercial potentials
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:49:46 -0500

I prune my mulberry trees to about 10'. The multi grafted tree I have in my
front yard I've been pruning twice annually, Once in late winter, and again
after it's done fruiting. The birds are the biggest pest, and we harvest by
putting tarps underneath and shake it.
The best varieties with commercial potentials is a variety called "Shami"
from Syria, It's known to have the best flavors of all mulberries, it's
probably a M. Nega.
The other variety that has been growing in Israel commercially is "Pakistan"
M. Morcura I believe which I managed to grow in my area although it's not
very cold hardy.

Bass Samaan
Nurseryman
www.Treesofjoy.com