nafex - Re: [nafex] mulberry

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] mulberry
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 07:24:23 +0530

Due to harvesting and storage problems mulberry could never establish as an commercial orchard fruit in India though it is one of the tastiest things on earth. We have several varieties of white and red or black mulberries in India. So this fruit has either been a fruit of children who could climb the trees, usually on village common lands and also near irrigation wells, and enjoy the fruits. I have done it during my childhood days. Or mulberry has been a fruit of rich landlords having servants to pick fresh fruits in the morning every day and use them. So this fruit has always been a delicacy in India. As the tree is one of the easiest to multiply and grow, so it always finds place at government research orchards and commercial nurseries. I DO NOT think that it has any scope as a commerciual orchard fruit.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175001
INDIA