nafex - Re: [nafex] the evils of grafting

  • From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor@gmx.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] the evils of grafting
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:14:11 -0600

Lawrence F. London Jr. followed up on my request and on Sunday 11/18/2012 he wrote from
Chapel Hill to say:
I emailed Steve Diver about the article you sent him and he sent me this reply
today:
Thanks for contacting him.
"I remember an email exchange with Douglas about his ideas on "seedling"
vs "grafted" fruit trees and found it quite interesting. That must have
been about 12-15 years ago as he noted. But I don't recall receiving
any articles or materials other than his email explanation. So no I
cannot retrieve anything.

It was nice of Steve to reply. However, he did ask me for a digital copy and I recall emailing him one, which we discussed. But given the length of time involved, the volume of email and the number of hard drives used since then, I'm not surprised he doesn't remember or have it on hand. (After all, I don't have on hand, either).

Amazon carries a used version of CRFG Yearbook 1973 with Douglas M.
Hinds as one of the editors for $19; including "The Need to Develop
Seedling Strains in Fruit Trees".
So it's available, and that's good. But getting it here is a little more costly and complicated due the need to cross an international border. And all I really need is the text of the article rather than the whole yearbook, in order to transcribe it back to digital form, again.

Pine_Tree_Bookstore in Santa Cruz CA is listed as the owner but I find nothing listed for them in Santa Cruz. It must exist only on the Internet. (If I had a phone number I'd give them a call and ask them to scan and email it. The Yearbooks aren't large - two pages could be scanned at a time, so 5 scans would do it).
Likewise, "The Need to Develop Seedling Strains in Fruit Trees" (1973,
pp. 91-110) is listed in CRFG's bibliography.
http://www.crfg.org/fg/xref/xref-p.html
It's listed under both Plant Genetics and Propagation. But that only shows the article was printed. There's no link i can see to the article itself.

I assume it was you that found the two links above, and that the suggestion below is probably yours too.
Given a PhD position with research funds and experiment station lands,
or just independent wealth for a personal experimental farm, I can see a
longtime field trial with multi-species fruit trees plantings that would
examine the seedling vs grafted tree theory, along with mixed species
plantings to create diversity and natural pest control, mulch-based
systems, etc."
The actual name of the article was "Indications of Metabolic Imbalance in Budded/Grafted Fruit Trees". The problem referred to extends to the fruit, as well as the organism that consumes it. So the question is one of protocols, knowing what to test for (i.e. Photosynthetic Efficiency)! Fruit production has three separate but related functions: Plant Health, Nutritional Content and Economic Viability, which in turn depends on Productivity, Production Costs and the existing or potential Consumer Demand for the Product.

But Demand is driven by Taste and Satisfaction (even more than price), and both may depend at least in part on Nutritional Content, as well as Consumer Recognition.
However: unlike the term "Organic", Seedling awakens nothing in anybody's mind except mine. Of course, if a significant difference DOES in fact exist (and whether it's subjective or not doesn't matter, as long as it's felt), Consumer Recognition and Preference will follow Taste and Satisfaction, to either a given brand name or a classification.
Of course, not all seedlings are born equal (but then, neither are brothers), so the task of developing high quality, productive and disease resistant seedling strains will still have to be performed.

Thanks again, Lawrence.

BTW, I was able to locate Bob O. Berg, the UCR Botanist (with whom 2 series of discrimination trials were carried out in 1968 and 69), and talk to him yesterday.
We still agree that "Integrity of the Individual Organism" is the principle that explains why the difference exists and is important.

Douglas Hinds

Director General
Center for Community and Rural Development
Centro para el Desarrollo Comunitario y Rural, A.C.
CeDeCoR, A.C. <cedecor@gmx.net>

Coordinator
Alliance for Socially and Ecologically Responsible Development
Alianza para la Responsibilidad Ecologica y Social en el Desarrollo (ARESD)
(CUCBA, FEPRJ, CNC Jalisco, CeDeCoR A.C.)
<aresdmx@gmail.com>

Chair
Organic Pineapple Working Group
International Society for Horticultural Science
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/opwg