nafex - Re: [nafex] the evils of grafting

  • From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor@gmx.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] the evils of grafting
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:14:28 -0600

On 11/13/2012 9:08 PM, Ginda Fisher wrote:
I, too, have personal experience, and my experience doesn't jib with yours.
For a number of practical reasons, I do prefer own-rooted plants in many
instances. But not for apples.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6
A very valid observation Ginda, one that I have not trouble accepting at all.

Regarding apples: They will grow in the region of Mexico in which I am located (El Occidente), and I am familiar with the phenomena you describe, which suggests to me the following: In order to grow apples from seed successfully (and thereby avoid the negative effects of grafting I am quite sure exist), an organized or institutional effort must be undertaken, so that desirable fruit capable of reproducing true to seed is either identified or developed over time.

Since grafted trees reproduce faster than seedlings, budwood from seedling trees with desirable fruit could be spliced into hardy seed rootstock (but without destroying the original tree). If the progeny possesses similar or equally desirable characteristics, seed from those too could be planted out (or budwood taken from young trees growing from that seed) and tested until the genetic composition of the new seedling line becomes stabilized.

Alternatively, marker assisted breeding technologies could help identify promising individuals plants, once the genetic codes for specific desirable and undesirable traits have been located.

On the other hand, most of the areas in which I have lived (particularly during the second half of my life), do not loan themselves to (and are therefore unimportant for) apple production. (I suspect that most apples consumed in Mexico are imported from Washington, although the states of Chihuahua and Durango have a developed apple industry).

As a result, the seedling tree fruits that forms the basis of my diet (which varies from season to season), are: the Anona, Avocados, Black Sapote, Cherimoyas, Chico Sapotes, Figs, the Golden Spoon, Guavas, Key Limes, Mamey, Mango, the Pomegranate, Sweet Lime, White Sapote and Yellow Sapote.

Each of which presents it's own problems and idiosyncrasies, so it's really important to be able to count on a wide range and/or depth of sources of knowledge in order to avoid the "5 blind men and the elephant" syndrome (everybody's right, but no one knows the whole story).

After all, grafting and seed selection have the same goal in mind: The reproduction of fruit trees of predictable and desirable quality. But planting a seed is no more predictable (or controllable) than having a baby - you can't be sure about what you're going to get. So you graft, and get a predictable result that by my standards includes an undesirable trait produced by grafting itself. And no one has proven that one way or the other, which is what my 1973 CRFG Yearbook article called for: Timely and In-depth Research that has yet to be carried out.

Other (non-tree) fruits consumed include: Bannanas, Berries, Cactus Pears, Grapes, Melons, Papaya, Peppers, Pineapple and Tomatoes; which either can't be (in the case of monocotyledons like bananas and pineapple) or are very rarely grafted (although grapes sometimes are).

As someone who has gone out of his way to procure fruit from seedling trees for 45 years and assiduously avoids eating fruit from grafted trees, I can say that in spite of the sacrifice that doing this has required, I'm 100 percent glad I did so and in fact, I believe that the time has come for me to pick up and carry this issue onward and place it in full view of the public and scientific eye. (Consider that to be an historical statement, like Babe Ruth did when he pointed his bat at the outfield fence). However, I expect this to occur within the context of other development oriented projects we have underway and it doesn't matter how long it takes. (Disbelievers need not bother to comment, although I'm aware that nafex is open to the public). :-)

Douglas Hinds