nafex - Re: [nafex] the evils of grafting

  • From: Mike Levine <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] the evils of grafting
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 20:40:06 -0500

I've read this thread and now I realize that if indeed people are committed
to growing fruit trees from seed and on their own roots and have
successfully done this then perhaps they would be willing to share some of
this seed? This thread seems to be a debate of idealism vs realism. Both
have their merits. Is it possible we can all agree that there are benefits
to doing it both ways? It's certainly desirable to further our breeding
efforts in this way, but one of the major drawbacks is how long it
takes/how much space it requires/how much work (sowing, growing, tasting,
culling, making crosses, costs/labor/access to ability to sequence &
identify marker genes). For the backyard grower with just a couple of
trees it makes sense to use grafted trees. For the fruit enthusiast, it
makes sense to try a bunch of different ways. I'm constantly wishing I had
more space to grow out trees from seed (soon come), but in the meantime I
plant mostly grafted trees so that I can learn. Maybe it's shortcut and
I'm missing some things along the way, but we each learn at our own pace
and in our own way. It's admirable that people are willing to take a stand
and do it their own way, whatever that way may be. Hey, there's no harm in
trying, is there? However, I think it makes sense to consider ALL the
tools in our toolboxes. Why throw out half the tools? Whenever I'm
missing a tool in my truck, I always find out sooner or later (usually
sooner) that I need it. So I say pony up, give us the seeds so we can try
it ourselves (after all, seeing is believing), but please don't tell us we
can't try it both ways (from seeds or by using grafting). Does anyone have
a link to the CRFG article? Does anyone have a catalog or list of
open-pollinated fruit seeds resulting from such breeding?

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI zone 5b