nafex - Re: [nafex] the evils of grafting

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] the evils of grafting
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 13:44:15 -0500

On 11/18/2012 1:06 PM, Douglas Hinds wrote:
On 11/15/2012 10:14 AM, Douglas Hinds wrote:

It means that I noticed the difference in 1967, wrote the article in
1973 and after having taken the trouble to procure and consume fruit
from seedling trees since then (with extremely rewarding results) and
bothered to share my experience and explain the concept here as
adequately as possible (for now) recently, I'll leave for others on
nafex to investigate on their own, if the interest is there.

I emailed Steve about the article you sent him and he sent me this reply today:

Steve Diver writes:
"I remember an email exchange with Douglas about his ideas on "seedling" vs "grafted" fruit trees and found it quite interesting. That must have been about 12-15 years ago as he noted. But I don't recall receiving any articles or materials other than his email explanation. So no I cannot retrieve anything.

Amazon carries a used version of CRFG Yearbook 1973 with Douglas M. Hinds as one of the editors for $19; including "The Need to Develop Seedling Strains in Fruit Trees".

Likewise, "The Need to Develop Seedling Strains in Fruit Trees" (1973, pp. 91-110) is listed in CRFG's bibliography.
http://www.crfg.org/fg/xref/xref-p.html

Given a PhD position with research funds and experiment station lands, or just independent wealth for a personal experimental farm, I can see a longtime field trial with multi-species fruit trees plantings that would examine the seedling vs grafted tree theory, along with mixed species plantings to create diversity and natural pest control, mulch-based systems, etc."