nafex - Re: [nafex] the evils of grafting

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] the evils of grafting
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 13:18:08 -0800 (PST)

I should have clarified that, but I really wasn't trying to start a fight or
tick anyone off.

What I meant by 'do better' is simply a comment on the biochemical imbalances
that must result from grafting.  It makes scientific sense to me that a plant
that is 100% connected to and is genetically identical to its roots is just
set up to draw from the soil what the top needs and store down under, what
the top produces.

I fully realize that maybe not every tree 'top' that I can grow here would
necessarily survive on its own roots, but I'm not talking about
survivability; my reference is more to the whole picture of health.  Kind of
like how my prairie farmer neighbours can grow nice looking wheat crops by
pouring on fertilizer, but those crops will never have the same levels of
micronutrients that a wheat crop would growing on healthy soil (yes, I farm
organically!).  The idea that a grafted tree/its fruit wouldn't have the same
levels of micronutrients as an own root tree/its fruit seems to me to
intuitively follow the same line of reasoning.  Who knows?  Maybe a tree that
struggles with something like fireblight when grafted, might not or might not
as much on its own roots.... and also I'm willing to concede a rootstock may
also confer something to a particular tree top that reduces its struggles in
a different way; but I still think that the grafting has a
biochemical cost even if for some 'kinds', that cost is worth it.

And as an aside:  would someone please inbox me (no need to tie up the list
for my giggles) the Bible reference(s) about grafting?  I'm a Christian and
an avid grafter and I've never come across this before!

Sarah