nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Autumn Olive

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Autumn Olive
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 18:45:25 -0500

On 1/8/2012 6:08 PM, Michele Stanton wrote:
I haven't heard anyone recently mention this, but Autumn olive is on the
list of invasive plants for North Carolina, and for many other eastern
states. NC Botanical Garden, among other entities, recommends getting rid
of them where possible.

Well, they are not on _my_ list, nor is kudzu or sericea lespedeza.
I think you'll find that much of this "invasive plant" propaganda may well be spawned by the herbicide industry and nurtured by lazy gardeners and landscapers. Herbicide use is a creeping scourge.

The worst invasives, across the globe, are GMO crops.

Ohio State did some taste-tests a few years ago of ice-cream syrups made
from eleagnus fruit. Tasters preferred strawberry, but autumn olive syrup
was still pretty yummy imho.

So, there's a use for them. Instead of destroying them, harvest and eat them.

Why not collect fruit from existing wild stands instead of planting more?

I will as I have a good stand of them on my property. I was looking for the variety shown and harvested in the video I posted a link to as that had larger fruit.