nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 10:13:28 -0500

On 1/7/2012 11:07 PM, Idell Weydemeyer wrote:
Some autumn olive are much tastier than others. Some are very
tart/astringent and others are sweet. I have 5 named varieties, one unnamed
one and one that is evergreen. My two favorites are Charles's Gold and the
evergreen one that I have named Florence Strange for the woman who gave it
to me. All but 1 of the named varieties are from Hidden Springs nursery in
Tennessee--but they are phasing them out since they are considered a pest in
that area. Mine, However, have never set one seedling and I have had them
for at least 12-15 years. I live in the dry west in near the coast in
northern California.

Thanks very much for this information, Idell. I will contact HS to purchase the variety you recommended. Also, I would be satisfied to have a wild variety shown in the video I posted a link to. I imagine that came from the upper midwest, maybe Wisconsin.

Found this with a Google search:

Order Plants - Hidden Springs Nursery
www.hiddenspringsnursery.com/plants.html
In Spring, they have pretty bell-shaped flowers and,in Fall, the foliage is a .... "Celeste" (also called TN Mountain) - medium to small fruit with a tasty rose pulp. ...
Contact - Hidden Springs Nursery
www.hiddenspringsnursery.com/contact.html
Address Hidden Springs Nursery 170 Hidden Springs Lane Cookeville, TN 38501. Email (the best way to reach us) hiddenspringsnursery@hotmail.com. Web ...
Hidden Springs Nursery
www.hiddenspringsnursery.com/
At Hidden Springs Nursery, our primary objective is not to make huge profits, but to provide plants we feel good about and to make an honest, simple living.
Place page - Write a review
170 Hidden Springs Lane Cookeville, TN 38501-9178
(931) 268-2592