nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 12:32:10 -0500

On 1/7/2012 11:22 AM, Elizabeth Hilborn wrote:

If you end up resorting to seeds, there are multiple mature specimens,
both cultivated and escaped on UNC South Campus (the old Odum Village)
that bear regularly. I sometimes beat the squirrels to some fruit.

Hah, good for you, Betsy. I used to pick chanterelle mushrooms growing
in the pine woods between the walking path and Kenan Stadium. They came back every year. I assume that there are variations in fruit size and shape and proportion of seed to pulp between varieties of Autumn Olive. The ones in this picture:
http://www.sierrapotomac.org/W_Needham/Pictures/AutumnOlive_Massanutten%20South_10-09-04.jpg
are larger, rounder and brighter red with less speckles than the ones
I have on my property which are smaller and oblong in shape. I finally have a good stand of them with seedlings around them that are developing. I have been waiting for years for this. Mine are good bearers but there isn't a lot of pulp and juice in the fruit. Maybe I can make up for this with quantity and processing them in a hand crank food mill/masher as depicted in a video I saw. I would like to make batches of pulp and juice to add to fresh raw fruit salad - they would probably go well with apple, raisins, soaked dry apricots and maybe dates....visions of ambrosia.
Another inspiring video:
MoonwiseHerbs Herbal Homestead YouTube Channel
Harvesting and processing Autumn Olives, Eleagnus Umbellata
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXu2RN4Gz4o&feature=related
many more videos on this page about this fruit, its uses as food and
in permaculture.