nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Autumn Olive

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Autumn Olive
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:41:25 -0500

I'd rather talk about fruit than invasives. ;) Jay, I don't know if
this helps, but there are many many wild stands of Autumn Olive around
here, plenty of them to ensure pollination. However, I've noticed that
fruit set is very sporadic. Some shrubs some years will be laden with
berries, other none. I haven't paid enough attention to detect a
pattern, but I wonder if it is weather related, or if local
pollinators are not especially fond of autumn olive and they are only
pollinated well by honeybees. Or if it's genetic, because some stands
seem to produce well most years. Anyways, it could be that they are
not self-fertile, or it could be something else!

-matt
z5 se MI