nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Autumn Olive

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Autumn Olive
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 11:10:54 -0800 (PST)

Larry,

A cavalier attitude about plant introduction, or an attitude that plants can
be controlled with more careful hand weeding and less television is,
unfortunately, exactly why we have some of the problems with invasive species
that we do.  Whether or not invasives cause problems, I suppose, depends on
what your definition of "a problem" is.

Invasive species are widely recognized in the scientific community as the
second leading cause of loss in biodiversity worldwide.  Conventional
agriculture doesn't get off the hook here either; habitat loss (often for
agriculture) is ranked as number one.  Here in the Pacific Northwest we have
a number of particularly noxious invasives, although probably the best
example of two that have widely caused negative impacts on native ecosystems
are Rubus armeniacus (Himilayan Blackberry) and Scot's Broom (Cytisus
scoparius).  Both of these species form dense stands, especially in disturbed
habitats, that completely take over open fields and in the case of the
blackberry, even forest understories.  As a result in many areas they have
completely stopped the natural successional progression of the ecosystem.
Scot's Broom, as a legume, ads a significant amount of nitrogen to the soil,
changing its chemistry and further altering the natural successional
progression of native vegetation on sites where it has been successfully
cleared.  Both species have spread from their introduction 100+ years ago to
the point where they are now widely found in areas miles from the nearest
road.  It saddens me greatly when I am backpacking in pristine wilderness
only to stumble into a patch of one of these or some other invasive that is
altering the ecosystem because of an ill-advised introduction years ago.  You
may be able to control these plants in your yard with careful weeding and
less television, but that doesn't mean that they will stay there.

I'm not saying that all introduced or invasive species are bad or harmful,
but to claim that the "hysteria" is due to "unwarranted trumped up charges"
ignores the facts in many cases.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia