nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 20:07:27 -0800

Some autumn olive are much tastier than others. Some are very
tart/astringent and others are sweet. I have 5 named varieties, one unnamed
one and one that is evergreen. My two favorites are Charles's Gold and the
evergreen one that I have named Florence Strange for the woman who gave it
to me. All but 1 of the named varieties are from Hidden Springs nursery in
Tennessee--but they are phasing them out since they are considered a pest in
that area. Mine, However, have never set one seedling and I have had them
for at least 12-15 years. I live in the dry west in near the coast in
northern California.

Idell weydemeyer