nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Autumn Olive

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Autumn Olive
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 15:29:58 -0700

While we're on autumn olives, I may have asked this before but I'm wondering about self-fruitfulness. I have an autumn olive that is at least 10 years old and has never had fruit (maybe it had one, once). I'm at 7000 ft in NM. I suppose either it is having its flowers killed by late frost or else it may need a second tree. In most areas with autumn olive there are wild trees all over the place to provide pollen. Not here. I tried to grow a second tree but it died. Does anyone have any insights?

Also, what about Shepherdia? It seems really close to autumn olive. I'm wondering if Shepherdia might fruit where autumn olive has failed. Ideas??

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)