nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Controlled burns

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler@lrec.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Controlled burns
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 11:29:50 -0600

On Feb 5, 2011, at 11:20 AM, Lori Rizzo wrote:

> Also methods. I am
> thinking about getting a propane torch at home depot and using that.

Lori,

Depending upon how much burning you have to do, you might consider purchasing
one of these:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=flame+weeder

We have product #9808 and #9076 as we already had a propane tank.

It works really well--comfortable to use & adjust temps, etc. It is designed
to be used as a flame weeder, meaning that it kills weeds if you use it on
very tiny weeds. However, I've learned that it doesn't faze Bermuda grass,
unfortunately. It would work well to start controlled fires, too, though.

--Leslie