nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Controlled burns

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Controlled burns
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 19:39:26 -0600

Lori, Everyone says that people here burned the woods and/or fields to control ticks. I suspect that all this Terra Prata stuff is why the prairies had such rich dark soil, from the natives burning them for so many years. I read in an old book that different weather can give a quick hot burn or a slow one that leaves only ash. I would think from what we know now that whatever conditions that leave the most charcoal would do the soil the most good. I haven't seen any discussion of this anywhere. Donna