nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Dwarf Meyer Lemon in post overwintering

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Dwarf Meyer Lemon in post overwintering
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 12:36:52 -0500

On 2/5/2011 9:06 AM, Kieran &/or Donna wrote:
Lawrence, Lovely little tree. If you have any problems with fruit drop
in the summer, give it boron, just a smidgen. Borax will do. It has

Thanks. I'll try that if needed. It is potted in a soil mix containing
a lot of rock quarry dust, mostly granite, volcanic tuff and pyrophyllite so it should be fully mineralized; I was advised that it likes urine so have added that too in measured amounts.

something to do with changing dry/wet, so if you can give it a big pot
in summer and keep it watered, it will hold more fruit. Donna

Its in the biggest pot I have and put there recently from a smaller one.
I can get a much bigger one from Tractor Supply but will have to build a dolly for it, a future option.

It is loaded with tiny green fruit buds which I hope will mature into full sized fruit in warmer weather. If every flower produced a lemon
there would be many hundreds of them on this small tree. As it looks now I will get quite a harvest followed by a second one later in the season.

My Grandparents in Pittsboro NC had two Ponderosa lemons potted in giant tubs which they put into a below ground unheated cold frame in winter and back in the yard in Spring to fruit. One lemon = one lemon pie.