nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Time for list message footer update...

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Time for list message footer update...
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 21:57:34 -0500

On 2/4/2011 9:43 PM, Chris Garriss wrote:
I agree that most closed lists do not allow non-members to post, and very
much prefer it that way.

This is a good plan. I'll keep the config that way.

I have to admit to being confused at this point as to which, if any,
attachments are allowed.

These are allowed:

image/gif
image/jpeg
image/jpg
image/jpef
image/bmp
image/png
image

multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative
text/plain

I need to know what message body size limit (this includes the size of any attachments) we need to have for the sake of those with a slow internet connection:
I have set it to two megabyte which is pretty big; maybe it should be one megabyte. Any suggestions? 2mb is a slow but manageable download for anyone with 3mb/s DSL and even 1.5 mb/s. Too slow for 56kb dialup if anyone still has this.
Ex. My attached pic of a Meyer Lemon is 225KB in size if that will give you any way to gauge download times.

And should I filter out .pdf (Adobe Acrobat) and .pps (PowerPoint) files? Yes? No?

I strongly support blocking attachments where
they are executable - such as ".exe " etc. I think images as attachments
(most common including jpg, bmp, gif, tif, as well as other common
formats) enhance communication. I would probably strip PDF attachments -
they can be quite large and 99% of the time a URL can be provided.

The usual suspects are now filtered out, one that coud contain viruses or other malware:

exe
bat
cmd
com