nafex - Re: [NAFEX] heirloom apple varieties versus modern

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] heirloom apple varieties versus modern
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 18:54:11 -0500

On Feb 4, 2011, at 6:28 PM, Alan Haigh wrote:

> Baldwin used to be my favorite apple but the warm autums we've been having
> a lot of lately aren't conducive to it getting to best quality.

I was never really impressed by Baldwins, but I'd only had them at PYO places
that tend to let everything be picked under-ripe. A perfectly fine apple,
but unexciting. This year I was shopping late in the season for apples, from
a small orchard that picks and sells its own fruit, and they had a sign on
the Baldwins that said "traditional pie apple". So I bought some.

Wow! They were terrific. A nice apple-y apple to eat out of hand, and it
cooked up to an excellent flavor and texture. I will be buying more next
year.

I live a bit north of you, and perhaps our weather was better for them than
yours this year.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6
(but the apples were grown a bit west of my location, and might have been
from zone 5)