nafex - [NAFEX] Cleft Grafting with Doc Farwells

  • From: Justin West <cjustinwest@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cleft Grafting with Doc Farwells
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:21:18 -0400

 Anyone have any experience using Doc Farwells grafting seal on top work cleft grafts?  I read a thread on the GardensWeb but it remains unclear to me.  I just top worked about 40 feral callery pears of 5-10 years old, grafting various pear and asian pear varieties on.  I applied Doc Farwells but then read this morning that it should not be applied over the scion buds as they will not be able to break through it.  Anyone have any experience that could confirm or deny that?  Also the question of the paint getting down between the union and not allowing a good seal.  Anyone have any thoughts on that as well?  If you could describe how you use it exactly in a situation as I am describing that would be great
Thanks
Justin West
nj zone 6-7

  • [NAFEX] Cleft Grafting with Doc Farwells, Justin West, 04/16/2010