nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Eggplants are fruit! - OT flea beetle resistance

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Eggplants are fruit! - OT flea beetle resistance
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:40:12 -0400

Donna said: " Wow, flea beetles are my most serious problem with
eggplant, so I'll have to
try it. Are you sure it's the variety and not some other variable, ie,
did
you have another variety that was attacked as usual? "

I have been growing Ichiban for years with severe flea beetle
infestation and poor yields despite the use of pyrethrins. Last year I
grew Ping and Ichiban together with no pesticides, just hand control of
beetles. The Ichiban had severe infestation as usual, the Ping growing
right next to it had a small amount of damage, but produced well with
largely intact leaves unlike the Ichiban that ended up with skeletal
leaves in August. This year I am only growing Ping, no control of any
kind was used, and I see very little damage and no visible pests.

Each year they have been grown in large pots up on my back deck 15 feet
in the air. I had been using pot culture in an attempt to evade the
flea beetles, and now I am just in the habit. I have not changed the
potting/top soil in the pots in three years, but I add fertilizer each
year.

My watering habits are similar among years. This year we have had more
rain in the spring than the last 2 years. I did note this year that the
Pings seemed to grow slowly early in the year, but started really
growing strongly in May. I suspect lack of nutrients, but I will have to
see how they perform next year. I can't think of any other variables to
report.

I am not 100% convinced of their superior resistance yet, but they look
very promising after (almost) 2 growing years of data. I plan to
continue growing them as my only variety next year.

I would be pleased to learn of your experience if you choose to grow
them.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC