nafex - Re: [NAFEX] DON'T cease global warming thread

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] DON'T cease global warming thread
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:56:27 -0500

Wait a minute. Maybe some people get riled up over this, but we are planting for the future. The climate of the future matters more to us than to mere growers of annual vegetables. I think the point is to toss in what evidence we find and let us all decide for ourselves.

The problem is that people get worked up when we get into political and social debates. This isn't a scientific issue. There's an overwhelming consensus among climate scientists that global warming IS happening and that it's happening because of the greenhouse gases we've been pumping into the air (removing carbon that's been deep underground for millions of years and putting it into the atmosphere).

There might be "two major camps in the world" on this issue, but there aren't two major *scientific* camps. Yes, there are SOME scientists who disagree, but that's always the case in science (and even then, most of them are talking about matters outside of their own field of expertise). The consensus of climatologists is overwhelming. And how could we in NAFEX debate the science in it, anyway? I'm not a climatologist, so I pretty well have to assume that the consensus of professionals in their own field is more likely to be true than my gut feelings. Yes, they may be wrong, but that's certainly not the smart bet.

Like evolution, in America this is simply a social issue and a political issue, and as such, it's going to do this group NO GOOD AT ALL to keep bringing it up over and over again.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. - John Cage