nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fegra figs

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fegra figs
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:58:46 +0530

I do not think that it requires pollination by wasps.  There has not been any regular research on thispoint.  I have not noticed any wasp.  But I am not 100% sure.

Chiranjit Parmar
Mandi  HP  India
www.fruitipedia.com

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Bassem Samaan <bassem@gardener.com> wrote:
Dr. Parmar,
There's a possibility that the Fegra fig needs pollination by a special wasp named Blastophaga. Many Ficus species do not set fruit without pollination such as the ficus carica Smyrna fig and San pedro, as well as the Ficus Sycamorous and Ficus Afghanistanica possibly.

Thanks,

Bass Samaan
http://www.TreesofJoy.com

--