nafex - [NAFEX] Honey Bees?

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honey Bees?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:24:33 -0600

For those of you in the areas hit hard last year during the Easter freeze,
that were then hit with the severe drought, are you seeing any honey bees
this spring? In years past, my fruit trees are buzzing with thousands of
them, but this spring, I have not seen a single one. In fact, I have not
seen much in the way of any pollinating insects, except carpenter bees,
which don't pollinate well due to their habit of cheating by cutting holes
in the base of flowers. I guess the lack of flowers last year caused the
populations to crash.

Hal
near Nashville, TN