nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberry

  • From: Betty Mayfield <bmayfield@opusnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberry
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:55:03 -0700

Ernest,

Yes, I have had much experience here in northwest Oregon. My next-door neighbor said that her grandmother planted it about 1919. Since then it has spread to the wooded hill behind us both and down onto my property, where I have to cut down and burn a huge pile of long canes every year. And every year the 20-30-foot canes come right back.

The berries are big, but blah in flavor. If you want a berry almost as good as the little wild blackberries, grow Cascade for pies and jelly. One thing, it is so juicy that I make little individual pies instead of trying to slice a big one. That way everyone gets an equal share of juice. Oh, yes, I serve them with a fork and a spoon to get every drop of juice!

Betty Mayfield
on the Columbia River in Oregon