nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting apples

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting apples
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 06:32:52 -0500

Ginda,

You want one of two methods--(a cleft graft doesn't heal as well because of
the cleft)--the names vary a bit depending on the source.

In the first you cut the scion diagonally as for a whip and tongue graft--do
no make the tongue. Then make a matching slice down the side of the larger
stock and set the scion against it, matching the cambial layers, then either
bind or nail--using little brass brads. In the other one that I use, you
make two longish slices to the scion so it comes to a long pie wedge on the
bottom with equal cuts on each side (one cut can be a little longer). You
then make two parallel vertical cuts (from the 90 degree cut end of the
large stock) a little longer than the length of the cut surfaces on the
scion. Peel down the bark and insert the scion vertically between the stock
and bark flap--bind and cover. You'll have twice the cambial contact as
with a cleft graft with each of these grafts without the cleft to harbor
disease organisms.

Lonroc, SW WI