nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberry

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberry
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:06:13 -0700 (PDT)

It has been called several different species in the
past. Rubus procerus, R. discolor and others. I
believe the consensus is that it's true name is R.
armeniacus. It is NOT a species native to the
Himalayas. It is called Himalayan blackberry because
seeds were first introduced to North America by Luther
Burbank under the name "Himalaya Giant" under the
mistaken belief that that was the origin of the
plants.

Michael

--- "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch_mnd@dataone.in>

Michael Dossett